Sunday 18 September 2011

Keeping off the weight

As you may have read in one of my posts a few months ago, I was on a diet and exercise plan and managed to lose 6kg or so. Great news right! Bad news is, this weight is REALLY hard to keep off. It's almost like my body doesn't want to be that weight, but rather 4 or 5kg heavier than what I want. So begins the battle with my own body to keep off a few kilos.

I've just finished reading Unbearable Lightness: A Story of Loss and Gain by actress Portia de Rossi, which outlines her own internal struggle with her body and ultimately, her self worth as a person. On the surface, this book is about battling an extreme eating disorder, but really I think it demonstrates the pressure that women are under to look a certain way. As I'm sure we all know, the pressure often doesn't just come from outside sources but is internal as well. I found this book so fascinating and it does make you question the line between having unrealistic body image and being motivated to look a certain way.

If you get chance, pick it up from your local library. It really is an insightful and interesting read.

No comments:

Post a Comment